- 2.8oz plain flour
- 3oz dark chocolate
- 1/4tsp salt
- 9oz sugar
- 3oz unsalted butter
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 20z chopped mixed nuts
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 9oz unsalted butter
- 4oz plain flour
- 2oz plain chocolate
- 2 tbsp chocolate powder
- 60ml hot water
- 7oz sugar
- 3/4tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120ml butter milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 6oz milk chocolate
- 450ml double cream
- 1tbsp golden caster sugar
Butter Cream Icing
- 60z milk chocolate
- 8oz butter
- 8.50z icing sugar
- 180ml double cream
- 8oz chocolate
- 10z butter
Say hello to the most indulgent chocolate cake I’ve ever tasted.This cake is not for the faint hearted. Only the most dedicated chocolate lover will be able to eat regular slices. It’s not just the size or the overall sugar content which make this cake great (both of which are impressive in their own right), it’s the multi-faceted aspect. There are 5 different chocolate layers, each providing a rich individual experience.If you want to make a chocolate lover happy, make a serious apology or create an impression with your baking skills – whip this out.
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl over boiling water
- Remove from heat & whisk in sugar gradually
- Whisk in eggs one at a time
- Stir in vanilla essence
- Mix together the flour, nuts, baking soda and salt. Fold this into the mix.
- Place mix in a 9 inch cake tin, lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 40mins to an hour – keep checking by poking a fork into the mix, the fork shouldn’t come over completely clean as you still want a gooey texture. Leave to cool in the tin for half an our before removing.
- Melt together chocolate, coco powder and hot water in a bowl over boiling water.
- Mix in half the sugar, continue heating for a couple of mins then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolk and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir the chocolate mix into the egg mix until smooth.
- Beat the soft butter into the mix – a bit at a time.
- Stir in the butter milk and vanilla essence.
- Fold the flour into the mix.
- Place mix in a 9 inch baking tin, back for around 40 mins at 160 degrees.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water, set aside to cool a bit.
- Whip up the cream until stiff. Add the sugar to this.
- Whisk a quarter of the cream into the chocolate, then gently fold the chocolate mix into the cream.
Butter Cream Icing:
- Melt chocolate in bowl over boiling water.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the icing sugar, vanilla extract and chocolate. It should have a fairly thick consistency – add more icing sugar if too sloppy.
- Melt together chocolate and cream in a bowl over boiling water.
- Once fully combined, remove from heat and leave to cool. It should thicken as it cools.
- Once everything has cooled, the cake can be assembled.
- Spread the mousse evenly over the brownie.
- Place the sponge on op of this.
- Spread the butter cream over the top.
- Spread the ganache around the side of the cake.