Red Chicken Pie
- 12oz plain flour
- 6oz butter
- 1/2 chicken, baked and stripped
- 5 Sun dried tomatoes
- 200ml single cream
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1/2 chicken stock cube
- 5 chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 pepper
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp of chilli pepper
- salt + pepper
Its not often I go into the pastry world, it always seems a bit daunting. However we’ve got a huge cherry tree in the back garden; meaning cherry pie is definitely on the horizon. Practice was needed and here it is in full force.This pie wasn’t made amazing by just the chicken and pastry, the key ingredient is the sun dried tomatoes. I recently walked into the local ‘continental delicatessen’ to discover a huge range of foods, unavailable to the average supermarket wanderer. The tomatoes being the best find.
They came in a loose bag, and felt squidgy to the fingers. Not sure if you get the same sweet taste with the olive oil jar type, who knows.
Another dimension of this pie is the hotness. Its not actually hot, you can just taste its there; which for me is the best way. No need for pain. The cayenne pepper adds that hot sharp tingle, while the chilli powder adds that main earthy heated taste.
I say again – this is not a hot pie, dont be scared.I must make a point of this recipe really being great. Don’t skim over this one, thinking ‘one day’. This recipe is really worth trying. I’ll be bold and say it has changed my view on pies.
- shortcrust pastry wasn’t made by myself, honesty is the best policy.
- I pre-cooked a chicken and stripped half of it down for the pie. And half for sandwiches:)
- Mix the flour and pinch of salt in a bowl, add the butter
- Rub together with fingers
- Add water gradually, mixing with a knife until the pastry is of the right texture.
- Leave in the fridge for 10min before using
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- Line the bottom of an 8inch baking dish with parchment
- Roll out the pastry, guestimating size for bottom and top, and mould into the dish. Cut sides off and re-roll into appropriate shape for the lid
- Add stripped chicken to pie
- Slice tomatoes lengthways into around 8 slices and add
- Quarter mushrooms and add
- Chop up the pepper and add
- Add a chicken stock cube to 200ml of boiling water in a small sauce pan, on a low heat
- When mixed add the cream, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, salt+pepper
- Pour into the pie
- Place the lid on top and fasten around the edge; by moistening and then being adventurous with the pattern
- Place in oven for 45min