- 6oz plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 75ml water
- 25g butter
- 1 packet of mozzarella
- red onion
- salt + pepper
Shrove tuesday! Day for eating sugary crepes in the name of using all ingredients to survive. Thought I’d honor my mother with a remake of her delish spinach pancake. I must of spent an hour traveling up and down gloucester road looking for spinach though. I didn’t realise everyone was onto the recipe. Vietnamese superstore came to the rescue.I did of course expand the recipe; well converted it into a bit of the ‘everything I fancy version’. The result was a surprisingly light cake, must be something to do with all the fillings+layers creating air pockets.You’ll notice a lack of ingredient-quantities; in the spirit of shrove tuesday I think this recipe needs to be done with a certain lack of precision. General good practice I believe for any food creation procedures. So yes, add what you feel is the right amount of what you like and dont stick to my ingredient list!
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl, add the eggs and wisk by hand
- Measure out the milk and water in the same container, add gradually to the mix.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add a couple of tbsp to the mix and whisk
- Use some grease proof paper with remaining butter to line the pan between pancakes.
- Add just enough mix to cover your hot frying pan, flip after a couple of min. Flip over and over till you got yours flipping skills down, and both sides are browning.
- Create all of the pancakes piling them up on a plate.
- Pre-heat oven to 160c
- Ok so as I said use your own ingredient list. Put some ingredients on each layer.
- Pancake – filling – pancake – filling – pancake -…
- Some favourites of mine were thinly sliced tomato + mozzarella, mushroom + red onion, pre-cooked spinach.
- Finish off with some mozzarella, salt + pepper on top.
- Place in oven on plate for 15min, mainly to melt cheese and get everything hot.