Amaretto + Summer Fruit Sponge Cake
- 3 eggs
- 9 oz good granulated sugar
- 5 oz soft butter
- 1 small cap vanilla essence
- 4 oz crushed amaretto biscuits
- 9 oz plain flour
- 13 oz summer fruits
- 1 pack Almond slivers
I’d been making this new cake, which I thought was gonna rock the world. I got so into it I was making multiple mini proto types – trying to get the layers just right. However after 2 weeks I couldnt face eating it any more, so ended up making a last minute new creation which turned out amazing.
Of course I had to give it to the birthday girl so only got to eat the one slice!
I stole this recipe from http://consciouscrumbs.com/tagged/cranberries, however the recipe below involves some changes which I think I’ll keep for my return journey.
- A few drops of vanilla would be enough
- 2oz of amaretto used, could do with 3-4oz
- Good granulated sugar could have been the key winning factor
- Ended up leaving in oven for 1h 30min for the sponge to set
- Line a 9-10inch cake tin with grease proof paper
- Beat the eggs and then gradually add the sugar until silky
- Add the butter and vanilla
- Add the flour
- Crush the amaretto biscuits to nice size chunks
- Stir them into the mix
- Add the Summer fruits to the mix, fold them in being careful not to over stir – dont want the whole mix to turn pink, looks better to have the white sponge next to the dark red fruits.
- Transfer the mix to the baking tray
- Pour the almonds over the top
- Shove in a pre heated oven at 170c for 1h 10min